Quarry Trail Status
Quarry trails are OPEN
Quarry trails are open. Surfaces of rocks roots and logs are still slick so be careful.
Last Updated (Sunday, 27 July 2014 13:55)
Good news on the Mott's Run trail proposal. After months of stalled progress while paperwork was reviewed and signed, FATMUG was invited to present our proposal for Mountain Bike trails at Mott's Run Reservoir to the Fredericksburg Recreation Commission on July 17th. At the end of the evening's presentation the Commission members had several questions and a few concerns but were satisfied enough with what they heard to endorse the proposal. Next step is for the proposal to go to the City Manager and perhaps City Council. We've been pushing this forward for a looong time now so it's awesome to get past a milestone like this.
Please take a look at the calendar below and consider coming out to help build/improve/maintain the trails we all love so much. No experience is necessary and you can stay for however long you want, leave when you've had your fill. Any and all help is appreciated. You never know when showing up for 10 minutes to help lift a heavy bridge into place at the end of the day will be the make-it-or-break-it effort!
If you’ve tried to get to the Quarry Trails recently then you’ve no doubt seen the impacts of the Fall Hill bridge widening project. Entering the trails from Fall Hill Ave now not only requires passing through a hard hat area but it also requires skirting the edge of a huge crater opening up to the canal and then hopping a construction fence. Not exactly the best situation. We spoke to the folks at the City about the problem and they suggested that anyone wanting to access the Quarry trails while the bridge project is underway use Wicklow drive instead of the old entry point beside the FOR/VOC building.
Starting immediately and continuing for at least the next few months, please do not use the old access point to the Quarry trails (the gated gravel road between FOR and the canal). Instead please park at the end of Wicklow drive just OUTSIDE of the Sunshine Baseball fields parking lot. Do not park in the lot. If you do and the park closes, you may get locked in so please park on the road outside of the ball field gates. The Fredericksburg Police Department has also been notified that the City would like trail using folks to park in that area so as long as you obey posted signs, you should not need to worry about getting towed. The kiosk with the trails OPEN/CLOSED sign will soon be moved up to this new location as well.
Need directions to this new access point? Just search on “1200 Wicklow Drive, Fredericksburg VA 22401”. Once you arrive at the ballpark, just ride/walk/hike into the entrance of the baseball field parking area and then down the gravel road (it’s okay to go around the gate) to the trails.
1. Maintain the integrity of existing trails.
2. Identify areas for improvement on existing trails and execute sound practices to reduce impact on surrounding environment.
3. Design and construct trails to minimize both risk of user harm and environmental impact from all reasonably anticipated trail use for life of trail.
4. Solicit guidance from local historians to design, construct and/or modify trails that provide low impact access to cultural and historical features and landmarks.
5. Repair trail damage resulting from severe weather events, fallen trees, debris and improper trail use (ex. muddy surface riding, unauthorized re-routes, etc.).
6. Educate trail users, especially cyclists, on proper trail use etiquette.