Motts Run Mtb & Quarry Trail Status
Thursday, February 11th 2016
-Mott's Run Mtb & the Fredericksburg Quarry Trails Are Open.
- Trails have recovered from the past precipitation and are frozen solid. Please use caution as trail features may be slick and turn back if trails begin to thaw out. Thanks and happy riding.
-The broken bridge towards the end of Ridgeline between the first and second access roads has been replaced. The replacement bridge is an advance crossing with a tread surface of only 1ft but just upstream is a larger bridge crossing safe for all traffic. Thanks
Also, a friendly reminder that Motts Run closes at 7pm when open (April-October; closed Tues/Wed).
Park users may park outside the gate if they think they may not make it back by closing time. However there is limited space so please carpool if possible. Periodically Motts Run may close early due to inclement weather, so please keep this in mind.
Thanks for your cooperation.
To learn more about the trail status indicator sign on the trailhead kiosk click "read more..." below.
Last Updated (Thursday, 11 February 2016 09:30)
Due to the impending storm this weekend Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day has been rescheduled for Saturday Oct, 17th!
IMBA's Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day strives to encourage communities in the U.S.A. and around the world to join together and ride mountain bikes with kids. Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day (TKMBD) events range in size from a few kids and families to several hundred gathering at a local park or trailhead. IMBA clubs and chapters, retail shops, Trips for Kids, schools, scouts and community groups are encouraged to host events. Last year over 15,000 kids and family members participated in 150+ community events in the U.S.
Please join us and ride our beginner trail (Snuffaluffagus) at Motts Run Reservoir! The fun starts at 10 AM we hope to see you there!
We are extremely pleased to announce the City of Fredericksburg has approved our proposal to build an approximate twelve mile, stacked-loop, mountain bike specific, trail system on the land around the Motts Run Reservoir! We have begun construction and we will be starting on the second Saturday of every month to hold a larger trail workday/event for any volunteers that want to come. We will have food, drinks, music provided :) For any other trail work days of course see the event calendar below.
1. Maintain the integrity of existing trails.
2. Identify areas for improvement on existing trails and execute sound practices to reduce impact on surrounding environment.
3. Design and construct trails to minimize both risk of user harm and environmental impact from all reasonably anticipated trail use for life of trail.
4. Solicit guidance from local historians to design, construct and/or modify trails that provide low impact access to cultural and historical features and landmarks.
5. Repair trail damage resulting from severe weather events, fallen trees, debris and improper trail use (ex. muddy surface riding, unauthorized re-routes, etc.).
6. Educate trail users, especially cyclists, on proper trail use etiquette.